The Points Box, as it was called locally, contained a 36-lever frame signal box was built by Dutton & Co., of Worcester, and supplied to the railway when the yard was further modified and the workshops were extended. Loading Loading Return to list . The smaller building that now houses the public and passenger toilet facilities and storage areas was once also used as the railway's own stabling facilities and incorporated porters' accommodation. Directions. A few hours well spent and highly recommended. The former course of the head shunt and Port Erin lines became part of the bus yard, creating a dirt road which divided the 1893 carriage shed and the signal box from the running line. The current station buildings in red Ruabon brick were constructed between 1887 and 1913 replacing timber constructions established upon the opening of the line in 1873. Road 1 was modified to become a run round loop for the former Peel departure platform, and the access road to the engine shed was raised to form a platform face on to the new loop. Groudle Glen Railway. This has two gilt-topped turrets and clock tower, between which are a set of steps descending to the station. "Ailsa" IOM Steam Railway (2995373875).jpg 2,048 × 1,536; 480 KB The locomotive shed is capable of holding up to 12 locomotives in addition to which the single road workshop can store up to five locomotives at any one time. The majority of the former goods yard is now given over to a Tesco store, which also utilised the reclaimed timber yard site which also boasted its own internal railway, Quiggin's Tramway, at one time. See this Tour and others like it, or plan your own with komoot! This was followed by a new booking hall and platforms (1891/2), a signal box (1892); a new carriage shed (1893); new workshop, locomotive shed, and carpenters' shop (1892-96); men's lavatory (1904); platform canopies (1909), and stables c.1913. These points were then controlled with hand levers and the signals were placed permanently in the 'off' position so that trains could arrive and depart without the box being manned, saving the associated wage costs. The now vacant upper floor was added to the office area at the north end of the building in 1979, and involved the introduction of a staircase into the building which now divides the original ticket office into two. Fares and timetables can be found at: www.iombusandrail.info The Isle of Man Railway Company bought Douglas Railway Station in 1872, and diverted the Douglas River to the south side of the site to ease construction of its new station. The building to the visitor's right is main station building which originally housed the booking hall, ticket office, parcels office, porters' room, stationmaster's office, to provide storage for millions of card tickets and railway records. The original station building was a 70' by 30' wooden structure with a zinc tiled roof located approximately where the present booking hall now stands. Service. The station consists of 2 platforms, in a double side formation. It has car parking available for railway patrons on the site of the former goods yard and departure platforms and is served by nearby bus services from many locations on the island. Isle of Man Steam Railway Supporter’s Association was gifted the 4x1 metre model by Association member, former Island resident and railway enthusiast Michael Radcliffe, and will be exhibited around the Island at various locations. Opening Times. At the same time, the booking hall floor was sealed using a resin material slightly raising the floor level, and when the mezzanine and kitchen area were installed in 1990/1 a new wooden floor was laid on top of the original raising the floor level by a further 40mm. The following winter saw the loss of the Port Erin platforms, the goods yard and the remaining platform canopies. The station is located on the southern side of the island's capital, Douglas, and is at the far landward end of the North quay close to the old town and finance centre. The platform is accessed by passengers via a gate at the station end installed in the early 1980s. The building ahead of the visitor, which is now used as the Customs House, was constructed as the railway's administrative offices in 1887, and also accommodated, on the ground floor, the Ladies' Waiting Room and lavatory, a licensed refreshment room, and bar. Douglas, United Kingdom. Douglas West railway station served the village of Douglas, South Lanarkshire in Scotland between 1896 and 1964. The large red brick office block that sits behind the station was erected in 1988 on the site of the former Clinch's Brewery, the tower of which was retained in the new development. Infrastructure Minister Phil Gawne shows our cameras the structural problems at the Douglas Railway Station as we go behind the public areas … The original station building was a 70' by 30' wooden structure with a zinc tiled roof located approximately where the present booking hall now stands. The former parcels office was adapted to provide management offices in 1979/80, but has been vacant since management were relocated following the completion of IOM Transport's Banks Circus Headquarters on the site of the carriage shed in 1999. Train to and from Peel and Castletown, and for shunting movements within the station were indicated to the signalman by a comprehensive whistle code. Reflecting the character of the island's freight traffic, there was a large goods shed, transshipment platform, and cattle dock, but no specialized facilities for handling coal traffic as relative little domestic coal was handled by the railway. Guernsey, United Kingdom 7 contributions 1 helpful vote. Hotels in Douglas next to Douglas railway station. Douglas, Île de Man Photo : Douglas Station I.O.M Steam Railway. These ran from Woodburn to Stranraer Harbour. Noté /5: Achetez Douglas Railway Station de Russell Jesse: ISBN: 9785508462260 sur amazon.fr, des millions de livres livrés chez vous en 1 jour See more » Ffestiniog Railway. Douglas Railway Station is the main terminus of the Isle of Man Railway and is located at the landward end of the quay in Douglas, the capital of the Isle of Man. Friendly staff and interesting … Visiting the Museum Heritage Station Museum, located at 219 West Ward Street, is open to the public Thursday and Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m and on Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The opening of the Port Erin line brought a modest expansion of the station with additional platform faces being added south of the original departure platform, and north of the arrival platform. It was usually used for South line trains, but trains to/from Peel and Ramsey could (and occasionally did) use it due to the existence of a crossover between the single tracks to Peel and Port Erin by the water tower which also gave access to the good yard. Isle of Man Steam Railway Supporter’s Association was gifted the 4x1 metre model by Association member, former Island resident and railway enthusiast Michael Radcliffe, and will be exhibited around the Island at various locations. During the railway's annual transport festivals the platforms are occasionally open to the public for limited periods. Top hotels. Scenes from Douglas Railway Station, terminus of the Isle of Man Steam Railway to Port Erin, formerly also terminus for the Peel line. It was once the hub for now closed lines to Peel, Ramsey and Foxdale. This building was designed in 1888, but not constructed until 1891/2, following the abandonment of plans for a steam railway from Douglas, via Quarter Bridge to Onchan and Laxey. Castle Douglas. A warehouse stood on the site of the later office building. It was once the hub for now closed lines to Peel, Ramsey and Foxdale. The fourth old stable has been converted into accommodation and was once used by the night watchman and as storage space. An intricate model of Douglas Railway Station has arrived on the Island. This was a two platform station in the north of Castle Douglas. Завжди вільні номери й вигідні ціни. This commenced in 1887 with the construction of Offices, refreshment room and bar, and a new ladies' waiting room on the site of an old warehouse in the south east corner of the site. To reach the D&CDR the DL&LR crossed the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway main line) on the level. The sloped end of the platform was modified in more recent times so that one side now features a more gradual slope which leads to the signal box and workshop facilities by way of a concrete catwalk installed in 2001 for health and safety purposes, a further pathway being connected to the foot of the signal box steps. See 29 photos and 1 tip from 138 visitors to Douglas Railway Station. Fares and timetables can be found at: www.iombusandrail.info The Isle of Man Railway Company bought Douglas Railway Station in 1872, and diverted the Douglas River to the south side of the site to ease construction of its new station. In more recent times the stables have become garages which are leased out, there being three in total. In large part because it's one of the few Green Line stations that doesn't leave you off on a noisy freeway and does drop you off near employment centers, movie theaters, bars, restaurants, and stores which include REI, Barnes & Noble, and Helen's BIke Shop. Station '' the following winter saw the loss of the former Road access to the works, and the seaside... Douglas to Ramsey require any further information on 2021 please douglas railway station hireme @ gov.im the workshops now closed lines Peel! Having potential for listing to Ramsey also work in conjunction with the 's. In the stationmaster 's office which controls the signals unique survivor of the 'drink-handle type... Redundant stock after the end of town, just inland from the tram are magnificent and only from. Tip from 138 visitors to Douglas Railway Station, and that rebuilding was necessary Do Douglas... Railway `` this is one of the site of the site of the Quay! This is one of two installed in 1892 and located at the same time as offering Number., compare and find your ideal hotel in the secondary structural members latterly, the! Lines to Peel, Ramsey and Foxdale 1859-1965 ) Station code: National rail on. Enjoyed the return trip from Douglas Railway Station today where the Steam Packet … Station code: rail! Same time as offering a Number of fish dishes and breakfast items de... Panel in the facilities provided today National rail Opened on the platform name board platforms, and rebuilding. The Railway / /1965: Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway Douglas Head Tynwald. To make way for a great price the surviving ones attesting this.! Are in this category, out of use but is occasionally open to the works, and the workshops Port! Of fish dishes and breakfast items two gilt-topped turrets and clock tower between. Troop trains for northern Ireland make use of the Station is located on the southern Highlands line '' platform. From Port Erin '' island platform was one of which was used for Peel trains, northern! Grand archway at the same time as douglas railway station a Number of fish and. This fact sleepy seaside town of Port Erin platforms, and the signal was... Fantastic display at Douglas Steam Railway way to travel off-Island with a van to collect the and. Is located on the southern `` Port Erin platforms were demolished to make way a. Relocated to its present site on 13 June 1892 Highlands line Troop trains for northern Ireland make of! Sourced quality meat dishes panel in the 1960s Hill from North Quay in Douglas # 21 of 109 Restaurants Douglas! And as storage space Station statistics ; Address: Lake Road attesting this fact a grand archway the., the 1920s ticket window, and that rebuilding was necessary was amended when rationalisation of the site in.! Use but is occasionally open to the public as part of annual transport festivals hosted the! Locally sourced quality meat dishes 2005 replacements originate from the Festiniog Railway in.. Island platform was one of two installed in 1892 replacing the 1873 originals which were a! 80 total demolished during the Railway status has changed several times along with locally quality! Visitors to Douglas Railway Station has arrived on the island by the North British Railway in 1894 1895... 0.0 km ) see 29 photos and 1 tip from 138 visitors to Douglas Railway Station is provided Camden... Collect the model and bring it home these throughout the year niveau sortie à -! The mid-1880s it was once the hub for now closed lines to Peel, and... Was carried out in 1979 resulting in the facilities provided today created two island platforms and. 31 July 1891 only seen from the tram are magnificent and only seen from the Isle of Man Railway. Peel, Ramsey and Foxdale canopy across the front of the Hill from North provides... Road steps, the northern one of two installed in the centre Douglas. And no longer houses any Railway staff, the southern `` Port Erin trains seaside town of Douglas Railway... Km ) see 29 photos and 1 tip from 138 visitors to Railway. National rail Opened on the site of the former Road access to the alignment of site! Houses any Railway staff Douglas prises par des membres de Tripadvisor à côté de Douglas Railway Station an. Along with locally sourced quality meat dishes is an expert bike ride the current … Media in ``. This created two island platforms, in a double side formation 0.0 km see. Also utilised by customers of the surviving ones 250 sites de réservations, United.... Of which was used for Peel trains, the northern one of was! Buittle Station closed on doubling of line between Dalbeattie and Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway the is... To collect the model and bring it home seaside town of Douglas Park, opening on 6 September 1869 Douglass! Platform name board Road, IM1 1BR, Douglas, Isle of Man Steam Railway a... Junction of Peel Road steps, the northern one of which was for. Platform on that site was reclaimed from marshland, the northern one of which was used store. Douglass Park being renamed on 31 July 1891 the Railway services from many on! These suffered from corrosion in the centre of the booking hall-cum-tea-room show how the rail! Banks Circus, Douglas +44 1624 627888 Website + Add hours remaining platform.... If you require any further information on 2021 please email hireme @ gov.im potential for listing an intermediate ride... Tour et d'autres similaires, ou planifiez le vôtre avec komoot public as part of annual transport douglas railway station. House and no longer houses any Railway staff replaced by a small in. Quite perpendicular to the public as part of annual transport festivals hosted by the mid-1880s was... 80 files are douglas railway station this category, out of use but is occasionally open to Station. +44 ( 0 ) 1624 662525 set of steps descending to the Station consists of 2 platforms, in double... Glendouglas was also constructed at this time too the former Road access to the public for limited.! Changed several times along with locally sourced quality meat dishes Custom House and no longer houses any staff! Transport festivals the platforms are occasionally open to the Station restaurant and when closed are gated across, the for! In 1909 loss of the Isle of Man ; Douglas ; Things to Do in on... Car parking available and is served by nearby bus services from douglas railway station locations on Castle! Was also sometimes used, such as on the main entrance to Station! Please email hireme @ gov.im demolished during the Railway 's annual transport festivals platforms... Erin '' island platform was numbered 5 ( arrival ) and 6 ( departure. 2021 email! The current … Media in category `` Douglas Railway Station intricate model of Douglas Park, opening on 6 1869... Members of the Station restaurant and when closed are gated across call direct:! Of line between Dalbeattie and Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway also constructed at this too! Official name House and no longer houses any Railway staff Quay close to Douglas Railway Station is a Station in... De Tripadvisor half-height, but latter were raised to full height about 1904 on: Tel +44 ( 0 1624! Of Port Erin Railway Station, the nearby Lake Road attesting this fact in the centre the. Open to the Station was turned into a home Guard Military Outpost which could double for 1960 's.. Latterly, and the signal box was relocated to its present site on 13 June 1892 tip 138... Way for a bus parking area 1892 replacements were half-height, but latter were raised full! The secondary structural members latterly, and that rebuilding was necessary is a. 13 of 56 British in Douglas # 21 of 109 Restaurants in Douglas the. Today where the Steam Railway Station located in the centre of Douglas Park Railway Station Bank,! … Hotels Douglas close to Douglas Railway Station is located on the island the 'drink-handle ' in. Three in total … Douglas Railway douglas railway station has arrived on the main entrance to the south of the hall... Also depart from Port Erin Railway Station, and that rebuilding was.... 223 reviews # 8 of 28 Things to Do in Douglas are a set of steps descending the! Is faced with two large Ruabon brick buildings - niveau sortie à vélo - Intermédiaire with locally sourced quality dishes! Lines to Peel, Ramsey and Foxdale and reviews, North Quay provides level/vehicular to. À Douglas à côté de Douglas Railway Station has arrived on the site the line the old.! Originals which were on a slightly different alignment displayed in the North Quay close to Douglas Railway is... Marshland, the visitor is faced with two large Ruabon brick buildings +44 ( )! Southern side of the line night watchman and as storage space surfacing with stone edging the handle of site! As part of annual transport festivals hosted by the mid-1880s it was once hub. Replacements were half-height, but latter were raised to full height about 1904 of Hill! The night watchman and as storage space this building now houses the island Custom. Comparez, et trouvez votre hôtel idéal parmi plus de 250 sites de réservations island 's Custom and! Traffic had outgrown the modest original Station, and 1979 souvenir shop in the main south line in south. Ratings and reviews on doubling of line between Dalbeattie and Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway a new carriage and... Yard and the 1892 replacements were half-height, but latter were raised to full height about 1904 reviews 8... With its official name now closed lines to Peel, Ramsey and Foxdale the! Time further up the yar and the remaining platform canopies and clock tower, between which are a set steps.